Friday, February 17, 2012

Ask the Author: Jessica Therrien concluded


6. The Descendants all have special abilities. What do you think yours would be if you were one of them?
I have to admit that writing in the first person makes me relate to Elyse more than anyone else, so I imagine myself with the ability to heal. BUT, if I could choose, I’d definitely be a messenger of some sort with the ability to fly or travel anywhere within a matter of seconds.
7. What have you discovered about being an author that you didn't expect before you started writing?
It is work (fun work, but work nonetheless). When I originally started writing, I wrote when I felt like it. I might not write for a few weeks, a month or two, then I would get an idea and it would pour out. Now I have to consider deadlines, marketing, social media, etc. I no longer get to be a lazy-pants when it comes to writing. Every day I strive to write something, whether it’s a paragraph, a page, or a chapter. Thank God I’m still in love with writing…it’s a fun way to be busy.
8. What do you hope readers will take away from your work?
I really hope readers will be left wanting more. I love it when I’m so carried away by a book that I never want it to end, and it would be wonderful if readers felt that way when reading Oppression. It would make me so happy to know that readers love the characters as much as I do.
9. Why do you write for teens in particular?
I wouldn’t say I write for teens. I would say I write YA (which, as most Twilight-loving moms know, isn’t only for young adults). I love writing YA because the stories are compelling. They’re fast-paced and full of what every reader wants:  page-turning action, a good love story, and a heartbreaking conflict. Also, I love writing from a young adult perspective for so many reasons. Young adults feel new, exciting and intense emotions, especially in terms of love, and as readers we enjoy reliving those days when we experienced our first taste of love.
10. What are some books that have influenced you?
So many, but as I was writing Oppression I’d have to list the obvious ones: The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Host. More recently I’d say I’ve been influenced by Divergent and Blood Red Road. I never wanted any of those books to end, and I’m a little jealous of anyone who has yet to delight in their awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment